Paint – this is one of the popular materials that is used during the finishing work. Many people think before painting the ceiling, what paint to choose. Indeed, on the shelves – a huge range of products, which is divided both by type and by manufacturer. Creating a new look of their homes, everyone wants the walls and ceiling to look beautiful, and the coloring served for a long time. But how to choose a paint for the ceiling in the apartment, so that the result obtained would meet the expectations, and the painting would be convenient and simple. In this article we will consider the main types of paints and varnishes, which paint should be preferred depending on whether it will be renovated in the living room, bedroom or bathroom, as well as review the main manufacturers.
Types of paints and their characteristics
The market offers a huge range of paints for walls and ceilings. Each has its pros and cons, which must be considered when choosing. Some paint help to hide the covering ability of the surface, some protect against the formation of mold or mildew, and some are resistant to various atmospheric phenomena.
The most popular are water-based, acrylic, matte and glossy. They all give the room a well-kept and tidy look. But before you make a choice, you need to consider in more detail the types of paints for painting walls and ceilings.
Water paint can rightly be called the most popular on the market. They are based on water and latex or acrylic. The high level of demand is due to the fact that they guarantee a quality result and at the same time are quite easy to use.
Their main advantages:
• Lack of smell. If it is, it evaporates pretty quickly.
• The composition does not contain hazardous and harmful impurities, it is completely safe for health. It is possible to paint walls and a ceiling even in a nursery. It is for this reason that water-based paints for ceilings in residential premises are quite common.
• Suitable for painting all surfaces except metal and gloss paint.
• The possibility of applying on top of any paint mixtures
• In case of contamination, it is easy to wash them with the usual detergent solution, they are not afraid of water
• Wide range of colors. Thanks to the addition of colors, they can be of any color and shade.
Water-dispersion paints differ from water-emulsion composition. Their basis is aqueous dispersions of polymers. It should be noted that the demand for this type of finishing material increases every year. It is perfect for painting the ceiling in the room, even with temperature changes. Main characteristics of water dispersion paint:
• Simplicity and ease of use
• Quick drying. If the paint is applied in one layer, then it dries up to 30 minutes.
• UV radiation resistant
• Absence of organic volatile solvents
• Durability. May stay on the surface for up to 20 years if the substrate was properly prepared before application.
• Good vapor permeability
• Resistance to temperature changes
• High adhesion to wood, plaster, concrete and other types of surfaces, even including surfaces that were previously painted
• The price is lower compared to water-based paint
The disadvantages of this mixture include the need to carefully prepare the surface before applying, moreover, when applying several layers, each previous one has to be further processed.
Latex paints have been used for many years and still are in demand. Their main advantages are:
• Moisture resistance
• Abrasion resistance
• Quickly dry
• No pungent odor
However, they also have disadvantages:
• The price is quite high, especially in comparison with water-based or acrylic paint
• Low temperature tolerance
• Can fade in the sun
Acrylic paints are versatile, affordable and easy to use. Thanks to these characteristics, they have become popular and in demand.
The main advantages of acrylic blends:
• Wear resistance
• Moisture resistance
• Hiding power
• Easy to use
• Easy care
• UV protection
• Painting retains its original color, even if it is white. But the color in the drying process may become slightly darker than in the bank
• Through the use of dye can achieve any color and shade
It is also a ceiling paint that hides unevenness and very small cracks.
Silicone paints are the most reliable, but this property is displayed in their value. Quite often they are used for rooms with an aggressive environment and high humidity.
Silicone paint benefits:
• High iznostoykost
• Water resistant
• Availability vapor permeability that protects the coating from mold and condensation
• Even when washing with strong detergents, the coating retains its glossiness
• Environmentally friendly
• Lack of pungent odor
The main disadvantage of silicone finishing material is a high price.
Silicate paints are based on liquid glass and have a high level of resistance to various influences. And their cost is quite democratic. Despite the fact that silicate mixtures are often used for external work, they are absolutely safe and suitable for decoration of bedrooms and even children’s rooms. Therefore, many manufacturers offer silicate paints for the ceiling. Which is better and what to look for, consider below.
The advantages of silicate paint:
• Atmospheric resistance
• Excellent antiseptic, does not require additional treatment of walls and ceilings with anti-fungal agents
• Resistance to alkaline environment
• High adhesion with any surface
• Democratic value
• Before applying the finishing material must carefully prepare the surface.
• It does not hide even the smallest defects of the walls and ceiling
• Lack of rich colors
Best interior paint colors
What could be simpler than choosing a wall paint color? Indeed, you remember your favorite color, adjust it to the color of the furniture in the room and go to the hardware store. This was not the case: the seller will present you with a huge fan of numerous shades of that very color and ask you to choose one of the hundreds of almost the same. With torment, you will choose what you would like, and a day after painting you will be surprised that this shade on the wall looks very different.
To avoid a situation like this, follow our 10 tips.
First, let’s explain how paints get their color.
If you go to any hardware store, it turns out that the shelves are painted for walls and ceilings only in white. The fact is that manufacturers can offer us thousands of colors and shades, so much that in warehouses and in stores there simply would not be enough space. As a rule, the points of sale are equipped with special automatic computers that can cloak the number of cans you need in selected color. Pastel colors are obtained from white paint, the so-called base-1, and bright and saturated – from a translucent base, base-2. Some manufacturers have almost transparent (for black colors) and glossy base paints.
It is not necessary to order computer tinting, color colorants giving color are sold separately, it is enough just to mix them with paint. Only this method gives a number of difficulties:
• it will be more difficult to achieve the desired shade, it will be necessary to add some amount of colorants intuitively;
• It is not necessary to mix purple with pink, you get lilac, colorants sometimes behave unpredictably;
• having achieved the desired shade of one can of paint, it will be difficult to repeat the same with the other cans, because the bill goes literally into micrograms.
In short, you decide, but serious builders always choose a computer tinting.
So what professionals recommend regarding color choices wall paints
On the Internet, there is a sea of advice that white expands the space, and in the bedroom it is better to use calm colors. We will not repeat them, better listen to the opinion of those who paint the walls and ceilings every day for many years.
Professional painters and builders prefer to choose the paint color based on the following recommendations:
1. The smaller the number of options to choose the color of paint, the easier
Have you decided to paint the living room in light green? Then ask the seller to show you only the basic colors, some short color catalog, and it will be easier to choose. Why do you need 67 variants of light green to get confused? If you buy paint over the Internet, give preference to brands offering short color tables.
2. Request a catalog of colors of paints
A typical mistake is to choose a paint color according to an advertising brochure or to see a favorite shade on the online store website. It must be remembered that ideally convey a shade of paint can not a single monitor, and especially a magazine or brochure. If possible, always ask to look at the fan with color samples, and not printed on the printing industry, namely the catalog with pieces of material, painted with different shades of paint of this brand.
3. Still, do not forget about the appointment of the room
The color of the walls in your house can be just your whim, but do not forget about what you will do in this room. A small bedroom with pumpkin-orange stripes on the walls is unlikely to allow you to sleep properly.
4. Do not listen to anyone, choose the color of the walls for yourself
Fashion magazines, your designer and an architect friend can advise anything, but you and your loved ones will live in the house. So what if for someone the pink ceiling is too much. And he reminds you of the color of ice cream that your mother bought you as a child.
5. Of the two options, give preference to the less saturated.
A tiny crimson rectangle can look very nice in the color catalog, but you will feel dizzy when you find yourself in front of such a huge wall. Always choose a color that is much lighter and quieter.
6. Do you have a smooth or textured wall?
Yes, it makes a huge difference. Imagine that the wall is covered with pebble plaster (creates the effect of grains scattered on the surface). Each pebble plaster has and the bright side and at the same time casts a tiny shadow – that is, the whole wall takes on a slightly darker tone. Be sure to consider the texture when choosing a paint color.
7. Why not make a trial vykrasku!
Still can not understand what paint color to choose? There is a simple way: order some of the smallest cans of paint in different colors, among those between which you can not decide, and paint them with not the most catchy wall in the room. Then just paint over these areas.
8. If you are testing the color, then in real conditions
If you liked the advice described above, then note that you need to paint the wall not somewhere, but in the very room where you plan to repair. Paint is applied in several layers, in accordance with what is written in the instructions, try to paint over at least 1 square meter. When evaluating the results, try to include the same lighting that will be used in the room.
By the way, if you can’t do a trial painting, try though. bring the color catalog to the room and evaluate the colors in a particular room environment.
9. Do not break the rules of painting
Nobody likes to follow the instructions, “why read technical cards?” Please paint correctly.
10. Do not rush to draw conclusions.
Let the walls dry thoroughly. In absolutely perfect conditions, the water-soluble paint dries for about half a day, just wait a few days and see that the color of the walls is perfect.
Best paint for interior doors
What kind of paint to choose for painting the doors today and we’ll figure it out. This question is quite important if you just make repairs and do not change the door with the box.
Then it is important to choose not just a color, but also odorless paint for windows and doors can be used. In this case, the question arises how to paint the door quite sharply.
In retail there are a lot of dyes and which one to use should be solved immediately.
Paints for interior doors are of the following types:
• acrylic varnishes
• alkyd enamel
• acrylic enamels
How to choose paint for doors
Usually the old doors have enough quality box and durable canvas. Some products are made of precious wood. That layer of paint that has accumulated over a long time, too much spoils the original appearance of the door.
But do not worry much, because there are various ways to update them, including the correct coating with a new layer of paint. If you want to save wood structure, then there is paint for woodgrain doors.
Making the right choice
Attention: The existing innovative materials will help to give the old wooden completely different look. All home craftsmen can do it yourself. You just need to know some of the nuances of using modern varnishes and paints, as well as comply with the technology of painting.
All doors in the premises, in most cases, are made of solid wood or using modern materials that mimic wood. But what paint for such doors should be used is known not by everyone.
Select by parameters
Difficulties with this process should not arise, but often people because of their own ignorance acquire not at all what is really needed.
Paints and varnishes are:
|Transparent||They add a special pigment that repeats the structure of the tree.|
|Opaque formulations||These materials are those whose basis consists of organic solvents. These are alkyd, oil, and also other paints.|
|Odorless paint for doors||This material has a smell. But it quickly disappears and freezes.|
There is also acrylic paint, it is quite widely used. There is a fairly large range of colors and deciding what paint to paint the doors in the apartment, it should not be discounted.
So, how to paint wooden doors:
• Today, the most common paint option is alkyd enamel. Its price is available, the paint has a wide color spectrum and is highly durable. Its only minus is an unpleasant and sharp smell that lasts for forty-eight hours. Therefore, all work with the paint is recommended to carry out on the street. To do this, the door must be removed from the hinges. Another option is to remove all unauthorized people from the premises.
• If these conditions cannot be met for any reason, then it is best to use acrylic enamel. She also has a rich color palette, but almost no odor. Dried paint does not have high strength. That is why it is usually covered with special acrylic varnish, which will give the product a more presentable look and protect the layer from various mechanical damages. The negative qualities of acrylic dye include a matte surface, as well as high cost.
Attention: Nitrolak and nitro paint are considered to be the most resistant material with which interior doors are painted.
The dried layer is quite durable. The material is toxic, can cause allergies in humans, so it must be handled with great care.
It is better that there are no people in the room when working with this material. The person who is engaged in painting must have personal protective equipment, for example, a respirator or mask.
Recommendations how to choose a color for the door
Color chooses a person based on their own preferences.
But also on this score there are recommendations:
• A white bedroom set will be well combined with the same door, which is decorated with golden panels.
• If the house wood, the most advantageous will look door from natural wood, treated with oil impregnation.
• Under dark lacquered furniture it is worth choosing a tinted door with similar tone of impregnation. Usually on top of it is covered with colorless varnish.
• For antique and antique furniture, the most successful choice will be a wooden door aged by artificial means.
• To create an environment that is safe for people’s health, it is best to apply water-based paints. They do not cause allergic reactions in pets and people, and also have no smell.
Adhering to the described tips. You can easily cope with the task.
Beauty to you in the house!